Membership Home > EDUCATION


What are the USTA's office hours?

USTA offices are open from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., EST, every Monday through Friday, and are closed on major U.S. holidays.

How can I contact the USTA?

Call 877.800.USTA (8782) in the U.S. and Canada, or 614.224.2291 from other locations. Complete contact information, including phone extensions, e-mail addresses, and fax numbers may be found online at:

If I'm not sure who to talk to...?

On the phone, ask for our Member Service Department, or you may also send questions via e-mail to

Can I contact the USTA after hours?

There are no emergency telephone numbers for what would otherwise be routine inquiries. An e-mail sent to the appropriate department will be acted upon as soon as possible. If you are experiencing a problem with one of our Web sites, an after-hours e-mail sent to will usually speed the resolution of problems.

The USTA's toll-free number doesn't work for me; what number do I call?

In area code 614, or outside the rest of the U.S. and Canada, call 877-800-8782

Where can I obtain a copy of the USTA Rules and Bylaws?

Call and request that one be sent to you, free of charge, or the quickest and easiest way is to go online, to USTA Rule Book

Are there tangible benefits to USTA membership?

The USTA offers discounts through Hertz Rent-A-Car, and with several businesses through our Member Benefits program (specific information is enclosed); you may take advantage of these benefits whether your purchases are related to your harness racing activities, or not.

If I have a USTA license, do I still need to apply for a state license to race?

Yes. Each state has its own license for participants; you can obtain a license at the track you are racing at, where a state licensing clerk will assist you. Questions should be directed to the state racing commission in your state.

If I race my horses in Canada, do I have to obtain membership or a license there?

Standardbred Canada recognizes USTA membership, and the USTA recognizes Canadian membership in return. When heading north, however, you must obtain a provincial racing license and drivers must pay for Canadian accident insurance. Standardbred Canada officials, working at each Canadian track, will help you.

Does the USTA offer any insurance?

Five dollars from each USTA driver-trainer license provides a minimal amount of insurance coverage, and permits license holders to obtain much greater amounts of coverage at a low cost. Information is sent to every license holder when new or renewed licenses are mailed, or you may call our Member Services department for more details. Workers compensation insurance is issued by the various states, and not the USTA.

Do I have a voice in USTA operations?

Yes. Every member is given a vote to select an individual who represents your district on the USTA Board of Directors. The Board sets USTA policies and votes on modifications to the Association's Rules and Bylaws-based upon suggestions made by individual members. Any USTA member in good standing can stand for election to the Board, but must first submit a petition signed by 25 current members who are also in good standing. For information, contact the USTA executive vice president, at 877.800.USTA (8782), extension 3209. All USTA meetings are open to our members; the Board meets annually in February or March.

Where's the "Complaint Department?"

If you feel you would like to offer a comment or suggestion, please send an e-mail to the executive vice president; that e-mail address may be found online at By the way, if you'd like to offer praise, use the same e-mail address and our executive vice president will be happy to thank the employees involved!