Stables/Stallion Syndicates

The maximum number of people or entities that can own a horse is four.  If there are 5 or more owners of a horse, at least two people would need to create a stable name for ownership purposes.  You, as an individual, may also wish to register a stable name to race or breed your horse.

Stallion syndicates, farms, stables and corporations must all register a stable name under Rule 8 of the USTA Rule Book.  Each stable must have a corresponding officer, who is responsible for signing ownership transfers and other documents relating to the horse(s) the stable owns.  A stallion syndicate must also name a syndicate manager.

A Stable Name Application or Stallion Syndicate Application can be mailed, faxed or emailed to the USTA office.  Each time a person is added to or removed from the stable, or if there is ever a change to the Corresponding Officer, you must notify the USTA with the appropriate form.  Stable names must be renewed each year by December 31, and all members must have current USTA membership, to stay current.

Frequently Asked Questions

How many members can my stable have?
There is no limit to the number of members that may be listed in a stable.  All individuals who own 5% or more of a horse must be listed as a member of the stable.

What are the fees associated with a stable name?
The cost to register a stable is $173.  Stable names expire on December 31 each year and must be renewed to stay current.  The annual renewal fee for a stable name is $25; you may choose to renew for three years at the rate of $75.

Who can sign documents for the stable?
Only the corresponding officer can sign documents on behalf of the stable.  This includes ownership transfers and leases.  His/her signature is considered binding for all members on any documents related to the stable or its horses.

How do I add/change the corresponding officer of a stable?
Both the current and the new corresponding officer must fill out and sign the Change to Corresponding Officer form.

How do I add/remove a member from the stable?
Both the corresponding officer and the member being added or removed from the stable must fill out and sign the Member Association/Dissociation form