Membership Home > DRIVER/TRAINER


All U.S. Trotting Association-licensed drivers and trainers, under the age of 70, can obtain occupational accident disability and accidental death and disability (AD&D) insurance* under policy number 64779460 -- effective as of April 1, 2012. Read More

Click here for detailed information, including an explanation of the benefits, limitations, exclusions, and the cost of each plan and credit card payment options or by contacting Gail at the Van Gundy Agency at 309.452.1156, by fax at 309.452.7500 or by e-mail at

If you have previously held a driver and/or trainer's license you are eligible to renew at any time. The easiest and fastest way to renew your license is through Online Services , a secure area for you to conduct business with the USTA via an online account.

Here are the basics on obtaining a new driver and/or trainer license

  • You must be a current member. For information on membership please click here.
  • We will need a completed application and the fee.

*Please note: the expiration date on your driver and/or trainer license will be the same as your membership. If you have a multi-year membership you will need to pay for a multi-year driver and/or trainer license.

  • The fees for a new license are as follows:
One Year $85
Three Years $195

*If you are renewing or obtaining a new membership additional fees apply.

  • If you would like more information please contact our licensing department at or by phone at 877-800-USTA ext. 3294. Applications are also available on-line.

Once the application is submitted what is the process?

  • Letters are either mailed or emailed to the references (email is used if the reference has a valid email address on file with the USTA). At least 4 satisfactory reference forms must be returned before the licensing process can continue.
  • We will then notify you in writing that you are eligible to take the required written examination. You will also be advised of the procedure that is in place for the administration of the exam.
  • Exams can be taken at the USTA office in Westerville, OH or you can select an examination supervisor from the approved supervisor list. This list will be provided to you when you are notified you are eligible to take the test.
  • Once you have satisfactorily completed the written exam you will be required to take the practical exam. We will send you a practical examination form. This will need to be taken to a selected and approved supervisor from the list provided.
  • Upon satisfactory completion of the practical exam, your license will be issued. Please note that applicants for a driver's license will need to furnish a current eye exam report before the license can be issued.

Can reference forms be mailed/emailed to me or to the track?

All reference forms are mailed or emailed directly to the licensed reference. All the information contained on the reference form is strictly confidential.

Is there any material available to help pass the tests?

All new applicants will be mailed a current copy of the USTA Rules and Regulations as well as the Driver/Trainer Study Guide. The fee for these items is included in the application fee. The New Care & Training of the Trotter and Pacer is available for $35 for current USTA members.

How are the tests scored?

Tests are graded as "satisfactory" or "unsatisfactory". A numerical score is not given.

Please note: If an "unsatisfactory" score is received you must wait 60 days before re-examination. If a second "unsatisfactory" score is received you must wait 6 months before re-examination.

What does the written test consist of?

The test consists of a variety of questions including true/false and multiple choice. Questions cover basic horsemanship, nutrition, equipment, and USTA Rules. There is a 2-hour time limit for completing the test.

What does the practical test consist of?

This exams requires you to demonstrate the following:

  • Ability to properly harness a horse, including various boots and other equipment
  • Correctly identify various overcheck and driving bits
  • Rate a satisfactory mile in a specified time
  • Identify various shoes and know their uses

Do I have to submit an eye exam?

Eye exams are required to obtain a new driver's license.We would encourage you to submit the Eye Exam form when you return the practical exam form. Please do not send an eye exam with your initial application, as it may be outdated by the time you are licensed. Eye exam forms are not required by the USTA for renewing a license but may be submitted with a renewal application.

Tips on making the process as smooth as possible:

  • List at least six persons, and their USTA license numbers, who can give firsthand information on your qualifications.
  • All Persons listed must have a current USTA membership/license and have held their membership and license for a minimum of 5 years.
  • References for a driver’s license must hold an "A" Full Driver's License.
  • References for a trainer’s license must hold either an "A" Full Driver's License or a "G" General Trainer's License. Each qualified person listed below will be sent a reference form by the USTA to their permanent address or email address as reported to the USTA.

Can I apply online?

Yes! You may apply for a new license here using your USTA online account. The online application is the easiest and fastest way to apply for a new license.